Re: versioning and soname

From: Monty Taylor
Subject: Re: versioning and soname
Date: Mon, 05 Oct 2009 10:49:15 -0700

Lorenzo Bettini wrote:
> Hi
>
> from what I understand, at least in a Unix environment, if the library
> version is
>
> current:revision:age
>
> the soname will be
>
> (current-age).age.revision
>
> won't it?
>
> Now if I have a library version (the revision should not be important in
> this context)
>
> 5:_:4
>
> the soname will be
>
> 1.4._
>
> right?

Yes. This is correct.

> If I now remove an interface I should set as a library version the
> following one, right?
>
> 6:0:0

Yes. This is correct.

> and this will generate a soname
>
> 6.0.0
>
> i.e., from soname 1.4 we go directly to 6.0
>
> is this the intended behavior?

Yes. Because you have changed the interface description 5 times since
1.4. Remember that these numbers are technically useful and not
marketing labels.

Definitely read this section (although it sounds like you have)

 http://www.gnu.org/software/libtool/manual/libtool.html#Versioning

Hope this helps.
Monty