How to build a noinst_ but still shared library?

From: Dave Korn
Subject: How to build a noinst_ but still shared library?
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2010 00:35:19 +0000

    Hi all,

  Well, here I am again with another dumb n00b question.  From the automake
manual:

"   Libtool convenience libraries are declared by directory-less
variables such as `noinst_LTLIBRARIES', `check_LTLIBRARIES', or even
`EXTRA_LTLIBRARIES'.  "

  So: how do you build a shared library in your "make check" run, without it
ending up installed somewhere during "make install"?  (In case it's relevant,
the project is all flat in a single non-recursive Makefile, so I can't just
e.g. force the subconfigure in tests/ to use a bogus $prefix choice under
$objdir somewhere.)

    cheers,
      DaveK