Re: link-time optimization

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: link-time optimization
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2010 22:00:28 +0200

Hello Simon,

* Simon Richter wrote on Mon, Mar 29, 2010 at 01:12:08PM CEST:
> On Sun, Mar 28, 2010 at 05:33:44PM +0200, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
>
> >     * doc/libtool.texi (FAQ, Stripped link flags): New nodes.
> >     (Wrapper executables): Replace bug address with macro.
> >     (Compile mode, Link mode): Document `-Wc,' and `-Xcompiler '
> >     semantics better.
>
> Hmm, -Wc is difficult to use because the compiler does not handle it --
> hence I cannot pass it to the configure script. Manually patching
> config.status to use "-Wc,-flto" works fine though (this is a project
> where all building goes through libtool, so it's possible).

The patch also documents that you can use CC='gcc -flto' as an
alternative workaround.  Besides, I am working on proper -flto
support in libtool so you don't have to use either workaround.

If that wasn't clear from my previous message, please help me
rewrite the patch so that it becomes crystal clear.

Thanks,