Linking specific library as static

From: Alon Bar-Lev
Subject: Linking specific library as static
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2010 17:56:23 +0300

Hello,

I know I had asked this before, but this is one of the most annoying
issue I have with libtool.

Real world example... I have libpcap which is installed at /usr/lib
using the names:
libpcap.so
libpcap.a

I wish to create an application that is linked statically with pcap
and pcap alone.

If I use -all-static I get all static libraries within my application.
If I use -static-libtool-libs it has no effect as there is no libtool
description, and also if I link with more than one libtool library I
get both static.

How can I link statically with a specific library?

Ugly Workaround: Create a symbolic link libpcap-static.a->libpcap.a
and link with -lpcap-static.

Thanks,
Alon.