Rebooting the release process

From: Gary V. Vaughan
Subject: Rebooting the release process
Date: Tue, 4 May 2010 14:59:16 +0700

Libtoolers,

Armed with a fresh spurt of enthusiasm, I'd like to remedy the fact that we're
still very much in need of a new release.  I've been mostly absent from the
list since my last attempt several months ago, but it seems a shame to me that
even our micro-releases are getting farther and farther apart.

To save Libtool from a slow death, here's what I'd like to do to get things
moving forward again:

 1. Check that the current HEAD is not totally broken on any of the 20-some
architectures I have access to.  And supply or solicit fixes for any of those
platforms anyone still cares about.
 2. Roll a release candidate this weekend, around May 8th.
 3. Supply or solicit fixes for any regressions against 2.2.6a over the
following week.
 4. Regardless of any known minor (or even major!) bugs still remaining, roll
up a 2.2.8 release within a week, or two at most.
 5. Try to shepherd any patches that arise from that release into the tree,
with the aim of releasing a mostly fixed 2.2.10 before the end of May if
everything goes well, and before the end of June in any case.

Anything I need to be aware of before I jump in?

Gary V. Vaughan (address@hidden)