Re: GNU Libtool 2.2.7b released (2.2.8 release candidate).

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: GNU Libtool 2.2.7b released (2.2.8 release candidate).
Date: Sat, 22 May 2010 11:39:19 +0200

* Adam Mercer wrote on Fri, May 21, 2010 at 07:23:38PM CEST:
> Just updated one of my projects to use libtool-2.2.7b and configure
> now fails with:
>
> configure: error: conditional "am__fastdepCXX" was never defined.
> Usually this means the macro was only invoked conditionally.
>
> in configure.ac I was checking for a C++ compiler if a given option
> was used, i.e.:
>
> # boinc requires a c++ compiler
> if test "${boinc}" = "true" ; then
>   AC_PROG_CXX
> fi
>
> Always checking for a C++ compiler makes the error go away. Are
> conditional checks like this bad?

FWIW, this is caused/exposed by (quoting NEWS):

  - Fix long standing bug that caused compiler checks for Fortran and
    C++ compilers to run twice.

I think the fix is right, and you've found a good workaround already,
too.  However, it might cause issues for quite a few more packages out
there.  I'm not sure what the best thing to do would be, but at the
least documenting it more prominently would seem prudent.