Re: GNU Libtool 2.2.8 released (stable)

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: GNU Libtool 2.2.8 released (stable)
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2010 11:11:15 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 8 Jun 2010, Charles Wilson wrote:

If it doesn't, then that's a bug.  Libltdl is supposed to keep track
of everything it loads,

But the point here is that Bob is advocating that (in the first half of
the example above) *libltdl* does NOT explicitly load the libjpeg
dependency.  However, the Windows *will* load it "behind the scenes" and
automatically, when libltdl does a LoadLibrary(libtiff) because libtiff
depends on libjpeg.

Once Windows has done so, and THEN libltdl attempts to do a
LoadLibrary(libjpeg) -- when libjpeg has already been "privately"
loaded, unbeknownst to libltdl -- what happens?

As a useful data point, when GraphicsMagick gets built using Visual Studio, libltdl is not used. Instead a more simple loader based on LoadLibrary() is used and Windows automatically loads any dependendencies. This has not caused any problems that I can recall. In the MinGW and Cygwin builds of GraphicsMagick, libldtl does get used so libltdl's redundant dependency loading is active. I assume that in this case, libltdl's loader ends up taking precedence over Windows similar features since it is invoked first. Windows surely still loads some implicit DLLs that libltdl is not aware of.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn