Re: Issues w/ "relink" and cross-compilation

From: Richard Purdie
Subject: Re: Issues w/ "relink" and cross-compilation
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2010 12:11:27 +0100

Hi,

I've spoken about this in the past but it looks like I should mention it
again. I do extensive cross compiling of the entire Linux software stack
using OpenEmbedded and Poky (I maintain the latter). We have cross
compiling working with libtool with a variety of workarounds. This
mainly consists of the following simple patch to libtool itself:

http://git.pokylinux.org/cgit.cgi/poky/tree/meta/packages/libtool/libtool/cross_compile.patch

and then manipulation of the .la files with sed if we ever want to move
the sysroot directory, or use the .la files on the target device.

There are a couple of other patches we use. One is to allow multiple
libtool scripts to live in the same place by adding a cross prefix to
the tool name:

http://git.pokylinux.org/cgit.cgi/poky/tree/meta/packages/libtool/libtool/prefix.patch

This patch also allows us to tell when the "wrong" (unpatched) libtool
is being used.

The final patch we're currently applying is probably a bug in libtool:

http://git.pokylinux.org/cgit.cgi/poky/tree/meta/packages/libtool/libtool/trailingslash.patch

where a directory comparison was failing as one variable ended in a
slash and the other did not. We're fixing this by stripping any slash
off both options (the patch is pending an update to do this). I haven't
isolated a proper test case to be able to submit this one as a proper
bug yet though.

Longer term I'm still hoping we'll see sysroot support in libtool and I
may even find some time to start the ball rolling on patches eventually
but I'm not going to get to that soon, much as I wish it were otherwise.

Cheers,

Richard