Re: hpux linking shared library with static library

From: Alon Bar-Lev
Subject: Re: hpux linking shared library with static library
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2010 07:36:27 +0300

On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 10:21 PM, Bob Friesenhahn
<address@hidden> wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Jul 2010, Alon Bar-Lev wrote:
>
>> ‎‎Thank you!
>>
>> But I do link the static library as PIC.
>
> Even if the static library is PIC, and the OS is happy to load and run the
> result, there is a common problem with this approach since if more than one
> shared library is linked with the static library, and these two shared
> libraries are used in the same program, there are likely to be duplicate
> symbol conficts or semi-random operation.  The problem becomes worse if
> multiple versions of the static library were used.
>
> Bob

Hello Bob,

Yes, I know, we already gone though this argument before and I Ralph
helped me with the hack "-rpath $(libdir)" [1].

This argument is good for best practice design, but there are cases in
which the shared library should be with minimum dependencies, I
explained all at thread [2], it should be my decision to make.

Now, this already works using libtool in:
- Windows 32bit
- Windows 64bit
- Solaris 8
- Solaris 10 sparc
- Solaris 10 intel
- AIX 5.3
- AIX 6.1
- Linux 2.2 i386
- Linux 2.4 i386
- Linux 2.6 i686
- Linux 2.6 x86_64
- Linux 2.6 ppc
- Linux 2.6 s390

So something must be different in hpux configuration, while it can
behave like any other OS, libtool enforces something else.

Alon.

[1] http://www.mail-archive.com/address@hidden/msg11805.html
[2] http://www.mail-archive.com/address@hidden/msg11804.html