Re: z/OS

From: Howard Chu
Subject: Re: z/OS
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2010 21:51:30 -0700

Alon Bar-Lev wrote:
Sure,
I do anything to help.

However, I am missing some details on the z/OS linkage process, even
without libtool I could not find a proper way to create a shared
object (or dll which is the right name at this platform).
If nobody ported libtool to this platform, I will try to figure out
how to do this by-hand first.

I vaguely remember getting all this working back in 2002-2003. Unfortunately I haven't touched any z/OS systems since then, but you may be able to find some postings in these archives from back then. Also in the OpenSSL, Cyrus-SASL, and OpenLDAP mailing lists from that time period.

The z/OS linker has two operating modes, old style and XPLINK. I seem to recall that you can only create DLLs using XPLINK. This has some complications because XPLINK throws all object files into a single namespace; if you have two object files with the same filename foo.o they will clash and either the link will fail or only one of them will be inserted into the result.

Thanks!
Alon.