Re: libtool and Cuda

From: Adam Mercer
Subject: Re: libtool and Cuda
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2010 14:03:53 -0500

On Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 13:44, Ralf Wildenhues <address@hidden> wrote:

Ralf

> Do you know how?  (Because that knowledge will be needed when
> implementing this.)

Not yet, a new programmer has just been employed by a group in our
collaboration to work on this. He's got a few ideas but needs to get
up to speed with our current setup.

>> As the
>> libtool-2.2.8 ChangeLog mentioned initial support for Cuda I was
>> interested in how to use this, i.e. if we specify the Cuda source file
>> in the list of SOURCES will libtool call nvcc appropriately?
>
> No, that would require Cuda .cu file support in Automake; sorry.

Nevermind, something to look into anyway. As we are planning on adding
more code using Cuda this may be a worthwhile investment. Although
neither of us are that familiar with the internals of automake...

> I'd love to have this, and there has been a patch for this, too
> (and I think it was reasonably good), but again, the copyright
> question could not be cleared up so we have to ignore the patch.
>
> If you are willing to code up a patch for this, and to assign
> copyright to the FSF, then be my guest.

I'll take a look but can't promise anything. I have no objection with
assigning copyright to the FSF as this will make things much easier in
the future.

Where would be an appropriate place to start in looking at adding this support?

Cheers

Adam