Re: 2.4 Release in 24hrs

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: 2.4 Release in 24hrs
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2010 20:58:04 +0200

* Bob Friesenhahn wrote on Sun, Sep 19, 2010 at 08:45:08PM CEST:
> On Sun, 19 Sep 2010, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
> >* Bob Friesenhahn wrote on Sun, Sep 19, 2010 at 05:45:45PM CEST:
> >>Unfortunately, my MinGW testing is not so successful.  The testing
> >>still quits part-way through with some sort of make-related issue
> >>(as reported in detail previously).
> >
> >I don't have that previous report on my radar.  Can you point us to it,
> >please?
>
> This is the situation where the tests quit mid-way like this:
>
> PASS: tests/depdemo-shared-unst.test
> make[4]: *** No rule to make target `.log', needed by `test-suite.log'.  Stop.
> make[4]: Leaving directory `/home/bfriesen/mingw/libtool-head'
> make[3]: *** [check-TESTS] Error 2
> make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/bfriesen/mingw/libtool-head'
> make[2]: *** [check-am] Error 2
> make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/bfriesen/mingw/libtool-head'
> make[1]: *** [check-recursive] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/bfriesen/mingw/libtool-head'
> make: *** [check] Error 2
>
> I am not finding this posted to a libtool list so it was probabably
> in off-list discussion among libtool core developers.
>
> The above is produced today after re-installing MinGW/GCC using the
> latest TDM GCC installer (with GCC 4.5.1).  It is similar to what I
> observed before.  The test suite used to work so I assume that the
> issue is due to some change in the past few months, such as in
> Automake.

Yeah, this is a GNU make 3.80 bug exposed by Automake 1.11, fixed by
Automake 1.11.1, and re-exposed in git Automake (I am working on a fix
that tries to avoid this and another bug about long $(TESTS) on MinGW).

We /could/ work around it in Libtool by making sure the last entry in
$(TESTS) is non-optional.  OTOH, since the release will be done with
Automake 1.11.1, I don't see why we would need to do that.

Thanks for the feedback,