Re: 2.4 Release in 24hrs

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: 2.4 Release in 24hrs
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2010 21:36:01 +0200

* Bob Friesenhahn wrote on Sun, Sep 19, 2010 at 09:27:08PM CEST:
> On Sun, 19 Sep 2010, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
> >>The above is produced today after re-installing MinGW/GCC using the
> >>latest TDM GCC installer (with GCC 4.5.1).  It is similar to what I
> >>observed before.  The test suite used to work so I assume that the
> >>issue is due to some change in the past few months, such as in
> >>Automake.
> >
> >Yeah, this is a GNU make 3.80 bug exposed by Automake 1.11, fixed by
> >Automake 1.11.1, and re-exposed in git Automake (I am working on a fix
> >that tries to avoid this and another bug about long $(TESTS) on MinGW).
>
> The 'make' used is GNU make 3.79.1.

Yeah, that has the same bug.

> There is a 'mingw32-make' which
> is GNU make 3.82, but does not seem to work under MSYS.

That one's not for you, normally.  IIUC it's for the development of, not
with, MSYS.

> I tried building my own GNU make 3.82 under MinGW and the result
> behaves the same as 'mingw32-make'.

When you build stuff yourself, it matters where you install it.  Some
directories are treated specially by the MSYS runtime.  Please see the
MinGW wiki for details.

Anyway, I still don't see why we should care, as long as the Libtool
release is done with Automake 1.11.1 (which our configure.ac ensures).