Re: bogus warning 'seems to be moved'

From: Marco Atzeri
Subject: Re: bogus warning 'seems to be moved'
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2010 04:45:45 +0000 (GMT)

--- Ven 24/9/10, Charles Wilson  ha scritto:

> Just FYI...
>
> I don't think the following scenario applies to either of
> you, but I ran
> into the warning in the case described below -- and the
> warning is valid
> (e.g. we shouldn't try to fix MY case).
>
> I was using a cross compiler with sysroot support
> (cygwin->mingw) to
> build cygwin's setup.exe.  I was linking against some
> pre-built
> libraries (compression, gpg) built using that cross
> compiler, but using
> an older, pre-sysroot-support version of libtool.
> (E.g. these libs are
> NOT the mingw-libfoo packages currently available from
> cygwin.com).
>
> Anyway, so what I had was:
>
> /usr/i686-pc-mingw32/sys-root/mingw/lib/liblzma.la
>
> etc, but -- because the lib was built using a non-sysroot
> libtool, the
> .la file specifies
>
> libdir='/mingw/lib'
>
> NOT
>
> libdir='=/mingw/lib'
>
> So, when building setup.exe using a libtool that supports
> --with-sysroot, it (quite rightly) complains that
> liblzma.la "appears to
> be moved" -- because it (a) is NOT in /mingw/lib, and (b)
> doesn't have
> the magic '=' sysroot marker.
>
> This is as designed.  The "fix" is for me to rebuild
> liblzma et al using
> a sysroot-capable libtool.
>
> Just wanted to point out this scenario, which has similar
> symptoms as
> those reported by Marco and Dave, but is NOT an error.
>
> --
> Chuck

Charles,
I am not sure to follow your explanation.

on cygwin

$cd /usr/lib
$ grep libdir *.la
libFLAC++.la:libdir='/usr/lib'
libFLAC.la:libdir='/usr/lib'
libGraphicsMagick++.la:libdir='/usr/lib'
libGraphicsMagick.la:libdir='/usr/lib'
libGraphicsMagickWand.la:libdir='/usr/lib'
libICE.la:libdir='/usr/lib'
libMagick++.la:libdir='/usr/lib'
libMagickCore.la:libdir='/usr/lib'
libMagickWand.la:libdir='/usr/lib'
libMrm.la:libdir='/usr/lib'
libSM.la:libdir='/usr/lib'
libUil.la:libdir='/usr/lib'
libX11.la:libdir='/usr/lib'
libXau.la:libdir='/usr/lib'
libXaw7.la:libdir='/usr/lib'
and so on.....

there is no libdir='=/.......

and on my build
$ find . -name *.la -exec grep libdir \{\} \;
libdir='/usr/local/lib/octave-3.3.52+'
libdir=''
libdir='/usr/local/lib/octave-3.3.52+'

On my humble understanding

libdir is a variable with the name of the directory,
I never saw and not found in libtool documentation

libdir='=/.......

could you point me to some documentation about it ?

Marco

and nothing different