Re: GNU Libtool 2.4 released [stable], yet might not be an immediate dro

From: Kyle Sallee
Subject: Re: GNU Libtool 2.4 released [stable], yet might not be an immediate drop in replacement for version 2.2.10
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2010 06:52:28 -0700

I wondered the same as did Alon.

Also I noticed that httpd version 2.2.16
failed compilation with libtool version 2.4 installed
Compile log looks like:

found apr source: srclib/apr
found apr-util source: srclib/apr-util
rebuilding srclib/apr/configure
buildconf: checking installation...
buildconf: python version 2.6.6 (ok)
buildconf: autoconf version 2.68 (ok)
buildconf: libtool version 2.4 (ok)
Copying libtool helper files ...
/libtool.m4 not found
./buildconf failed for apr

Merely re-installing libtool version 2.2.10
enabled compilation of httpd.
So I want to assume that there is nothing
else preventing the compilation of httpd
except the installed version of libtool.
I do not know if the bug is owned by libtool or httpd.
My guess is httpd.
But it might be good to go ahead and report it here
so that SAs about to update, who also are running httpd,
can perhaps decide if a short delay might be useful.

This problem was repeatable on both IA32 i686 linux + glibc
and x86_64 linux + glibc.
That is why I am providing only the limited information above,
because someone who is eager and able to debug this
should be able to easily replicate the error.

If anyone is on the httpd email list
then please feel free to cross post this,
especially if the error is determined
to be in httpd source.