Re: GNU Libtool 2.4 released [stable]

From: Paolo Bonzini
Subject: Re: GNU Libtool 2.4 released [stable]
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2010 09:24:43 +0200

> package1: ./configure
> package1: make install DESTDIR=/tmp/root1
>
> package2: ./configure
> package2: make install DESTDIR=/tmp/root2
>
> 1. No need to update existing builds, adding --with-sysroot to all
> configure statements is harder.

Hardly impossible though.

> 2. You can assume DESTDIR is base root (own sysroot), and while
> linking and all take the SYSROOT environment as base. So I don't
> really understand the '=' in the .la files. You can always add the
> SYSROOT prefix to everything in .la if it resides within the SYSROOT.

You can always have errors in the build processes where some
dependencies lie outside the sysroot, so being able to distinguish the
sysrooted paths is a good thing.  One additional functionality could
be to spot non-sysrooted paths at --mode=finish time, and diagnose
those.

Also, the "=" comes from GCC's syntax, it's not libtool's invention,
and reusing it meant that the sysroot support was much less painful to
add than it seemed.

Paolo