Re: Libtool and CUDA

From: Paweł Daniluk
Subject: Re: Libtool and CUDA
Date: Tue, 07 Dec 2010 13:58:21 +0100

Hi,

Of course the whole support currently won't work if you need to have
both compilers CC=gcc and, say, NVCC=nvcc or so; to workaround you
currently need a subpackage with a sub configure script where you
override CC=$NVCC.

We could fix that in the same way as the proposed Go patch: by
explicitly introducing a new language called Cuda or so.  I'm not
disinclined, but since there exists no free version of this compiler
this might politically be a bit "interesting", to say the least.

I was wrong a bit in my last message though: the manual for version 2.0
does document --shared and -shared, and mentions that other flags
necessary for shared libraries need to be passed through with
-Xcompiler.  Which matches my proposed patch.

That would be exactly what I need. AFAIK nvcc provides facility to link shared libs, and if the whole project may be built with it there is no need for libtool. I can't do it since most of my code is written in C and cannot be compiled with C++ compiler.

I think I found another solution though. nvcc has an option to compile CUDA program to C++, so I added an intermediate step in my Makefile that does that. Then I use libtool with g++ to process the result. It works fine and probably is more consistent with your policy. Nevertheless it is not straightforward, and it would be more convenient to have libtool do it for me.

Thanks for your help,

Paweł