Re: How does one specify linking to 64 bit libraries when there is a cho

From: Peter O'Gorman
Subject: Re: How does one specify linking to 64 bit libraries when there is a choice?
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2010 15:37:57 -0600

On 12/17/2010 02:59 PM, Peter O'Gorman wrote:
On 12/17/2010 11:09 AM, Nelson H. F. Beebe wrote:

I normally do builds on the AMD64 platforms with something like this
(at a minimum):

env LDFLAGS='-L/usr/local/lib64 -Wl,-rpath,/usr/local/lib64' ./configure
make all check
make install libdir=/usr/local/lib64

It does no good to specify libdir in the env of the configure run,
because it does not propagate to the Makefile.

Hi Nelson, Bruce,

I think this is the issue, by configuring without setting libdir and
then changing it at make install time, libtool gets confused, and builds
libraries .la files etc with the configure time setting of libdir.

I haven't had a problem with setting --libdir at configure time and then
running make && make install, do you perhaps recall what packages gave
you issues with this?

Oh, I misread again, just for a change :( I don't think setting libdir in the environment at configure time is supposed to work, it needs to be passed as a configure argument, for example:

./configure --libdir=/usr/local/lib64

Peter