Re: How does one specify linking to 64 bit libraries when there is a cho

From: Andy Wingo
Subject: Re: How does one specify linking to 64 bit libraries when there is a choice?
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2010 15:23:19 +0100

Hi Bruce,

Sorry you and others have had to suffer through this.

On Mon 20 Dec 2010 15:09, Bruce Korb <address@hidden> writes:

>   How much understanding of the machinery should be expected
>   of the hapless project builder?

I'm not sure, but:

> Nelson has been doing this stuff for quite a while and has
> reasonably good understanding of the process.  From that
> understanding, he made the assumption that a standard 64 bit
> "Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 5.5 (Tikanga)"
> installation would be compatible with installing Guile via
>    ./configure && make && sudo make install

This is incorrect, for RHEL and other systems which place 64-bit libs in
$prefix/lib64.  You will find hacks to set --libdir in almost all
packaging scripts.

> Perhaps we can strive to make the assumption correct
> in the future?

This idea is attractive, if it can be done. But this is more an autoconf
issue (setting $libdir) than a libtool issue, and it's not a Guile issue
at all :)

Cheers,

Andy