Re: How does one specify linking to 64 bit libraries when there is a cho

From: Eric Blake
Subject: Re: How does one specify linking to 64 bit libraries when there is a choice?
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2010 08:41:30 -0700

On 12/20/2010 08:36 AM, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
>> If a distro insists on shipping 64-bit libraries under /usr/lib64, then
>> it would be in the distro's best interest to also ship a config.site
>> variable that defaults --libdir to the appropriate /usr/lib64 location.
>
> This isn't of much help on multi-arched architectures (such as
> Fedora/RHEL x86_64 systems), because any such default would only match
> to one of its supported architectures and be wrong on all others.

I disagree with your argument.  config.site can be a full-powered shell
script, that examines $CC, $CFLAGS, and so forth to see if any request
for 32- or 64-bit compilation has been requested, and only set --libdir
to /usr/lib64 in the cases where it is compatible with the user's
selections.  There's nothing that forces a well-written config.site to
cause a user to use a library location inconsistent with any other
options they passed.

Suggestions in improving the example config.site file here:

http://www.gnu.org/software/autoconf/manual/autoconf.html#Site-Defaults

in order to be more robust to common multi-arch uses are more than welcome.

--
Eric Blake   address@hidden    +1-801-349-2682