Re: How does one specify linking to 64 bit libraries when there is a cho

From: Bruce Korb
Subject: Re: How does one specify linking to 64 bit libraries when there is a choice?
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2010 11:02:45 -0800

On 12/20/10 09:11, Nick Bowler wrote:
> On 2010-12-20 08:54 -0800, Bruce Korb wrote:
>> If the default build is 64 bit, why does it make sense that the
>> default library directory is the 32 bit library?
>
> As far as I know, the only reason for this design is to avoid breaking
> 32-bit proprietary software with /usr/lib paths hardcoded into their
> binaries.

Which argues for keeping /usr/lib as a 32 bit library directory,
but not for making it the default directory.

Perhaps all the "stake holders" need to be put into a virtual meeting
room and not allowed out until some way forward is chosen. ;)
I do think that autoconf was conceived as the place where
inconsistencies between platforms get resolved.  This is an
inconsistency that could really use a resolution that does not
require people to have to remember platform dependent tool use rules.