Re: pic-only option not working as expected

From: John Calcote
Subject: Re: pic-only option not working as expected
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2011 18:39:17 -0700

Hi Ralf,

On 01/22/2011 12:47 PM, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
> * John Calcote wrote on Sat, Jan 22, 2011 at 08:42:33PM CET:
>> LT_INIT([disable-shared static pic-only])
>>
>> While playing with these options, I noticed that the 'disable-shared'
>> and 'static' options seem to have the desired effect, but the 'pic-only'
>> option does not. Whether I use 'pic-only' or not, I get the following
>> output from 'configure --help':
> I was just going to get to this patch tomorrow.  I haven't retested it
> and am on a run now.  Can you try it?  Jose reported this to me
> off-list.
>
> Thanks,
> Ralf
The patch is functionally correct, but incomplete. It properly sets the
pic-mode default in ltoptions.m4, but doesn't set the help text to
display that default (it's currently hard-coded to display "use both").
This can be done the same way as _LT_ENABLE_SHARED. I wish I had time to
put a complete patch together, but I'm under pressure at work right now
and don't have time to determine a correct patch for the code in git --
it's different than my code and it's different from the one the patch
was originally written for. The git head contains additional code in
ltoptions.m4 to handle multi-package specifications in the --with-pic
flag and I haven't had time to sort out how it works yet.

I'm just glad you're aware of the issue and I'm in no hurry for a fix
please do it when you get to it, or I'll get one to you as soon as the
pressure here at work lets up a bit. :)

Regards,
John