Re: pic-only option not working as expected

From: John Calcote
Subject: Re: pic-only option not working as expected
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2011 22:12:44 -0700

Hi Luke,

On 01/23/2011 06:38 PM, Luke Mewburn wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 22, 2011 at 12:42:33PM -0700, John Calcote wrote:
>   | While looking for a solution, I found this thread (from Oct 2010) on the
>   | libtool mailing list:
>   |    http://www.mail-archive.com/address@hidden/msg12408.html
>   | Because this thread is so recent, I'm wondering if this issue ever been
>   | resolved (or even noticed) by the libtool maintainers.
>
> I started the thread mentioned above; it looks like John is
> experiencing the same problem that I found.
>
> I didn't manage to get a reliable test case setup for this
> to allow Ralf to reproduce; I tried setting up a constructed
> test environment but it didn't fail as I'd experienced in my
> production build environment (which I can't provide as a test
> case, unfortunately).

The problem is well understood at this point. I don't believe any
additional test cases are needed. Jose Marchesi sent a patch to Ralf
off-list. The crux of the patch is a one line change to ltoptions.m4
wherein the default pic mode is now properly set based on the option
given in LT_INIT.

This patch is okay in that it works, but it's not a complete solution.
When you use the pic-only or no-pic options, they should act like the
disable-shared option or the disable-static option in that these options
modify the text that's displayed for "configure --help". As it stands,
the "default" text displayed under --with-pic is hard-coded to "both".
When the disable-shared option is given, the help text is modified to
indicate the project-specific default of 'off' for shared libraries. The
pic options should do the same.

I should mention that a significant value provided by Jose's patch is
that he went the extra mile (so to speak) and provided test cases to
test the code he modified with his patch. Nice.

John