Re: -soname passed directly to the compiler

From: tom fogal
Subject: Re: -soname passed directly to the compiler
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2011 14:41:26 -0700

Ralf Wildenhues <address@hidden> writes:
> * tom fogal wrote on Tue, Feb 15, 2011 at 06:34:44PM CET:
> > I was still hitting issues, now with libtool trying to execute
> > "X--gcc" or something like that; it seemed to be a common problem,
> > from google searches, yet nobody had a concrete answer.  I'm afraid
> > I don't either: my solution was to stash my current changes and
> > `git clean -df'.  I don't version control configure, aclocal.m4,
> > config.* etc., and so this got me a virgin tree.
> >
> > At that point 'libtoolize --copy --force && autoreconf -vi' got me
> > a working build system.  There must have been some sort of state
> > which was not getting overwritten from the above w/o cleaning out
> > the whole tree, but I do not know what it was, exactly.
>
> I want to add this to the to-be-written FAQ.  I have half an idea
> of where that bug comes from but would like to make sure.  Please
> specify exactly which Autoconf, Automake, and Libtool versions you
> used before upgrading, and then, in which order you upgraded which
> tool to what newer version.

Original versions:

  ltmain.sh (GNU libtool) 1.5.26 Debian 1.5.26-4+lenny1 (1.1220.2.493
  2008/02/01 16:58:18)
  autoconf (GNU Autoconf) 2.61
  automake (GNU automake) 1.10.1

(these come from a Debian's previous stable install (5.0).  I'll note
that 6.0 was just released... which makes me about infinity happy, 5.0
was way too old :)

Versions I upgraded to:

  libtool (GNU libtool) 2.4
  autoconf (GNU Autoconf) 2.68
  automake (GNU automake) 1.11.1

My shell's history is long gone, now, but if I had to guess I would say
I:

  # upgraded libtool
  $ libtoolize --copy --force && autoreconf -vi
  $ $EDITOR configure.ac # fix complaints; missing LT_INIT, for example
  $ libtoolize --copy --force && autoreconf -vi
  $ make
  ... repeat the last two a bunch :)
  # upgrade autoconf
  $ libtoolize --copy --force && autoreconf -vi
  $ make
  # upgrade automake
  $ libtoolize --copy --force && autoreconf -vi
  $ make

There was definitely some 'aclocal's in there as well; one of the
tools kept telling me that something might be out of date and I should
re-run aclocal.  Not sure if they fell between the libtoolize's and the
autoreconf's or between the autoreconf's and the make.

-tom