Re: old solaris problem

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: old solaris problem
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2011 09:02:38 -0600 (CST)

On Thu, 17 Feb 2011, Thien-Thi Nguyen wrote:

In the GNU Serveez configure.ac, i see:

 dnl
 dnl Check if libtool copes with SunOS/Solaris.  GNU libtool 1.4.2 and less
 dnl fail to create self-contained shared libraries.  This is due to the gcc
 dnl - native linker combination.  The below macro adds the -liberty path
 dnl and -lgcc to the linker line if necessary.
 dnl
 SVZ_LIBTOOL_SOLARIS

I recommend eliminating use of this macro. Whatever purpose it was intending to solve surely no longer exists.

I use Solaris for development and have never needed anything similar to what this macro is doing. It seems likely that the developer of the macro was solving some issue with his own compiler installation.

Libtool 1.4.2 was released in 2002.  That is eons in libtool time.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn