Re: libtool relinks all shared libraries when "make install" is performe

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: libtool relinks all shared libraries when "make install" is performed
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2011 11:49:44 +0200

Hello Markus,

* Markus Franke wrote on Wed, Mar 23, 2011 at 05:18:53PM CET:
> we have a large C++ project containing of several modules which each get
> compiled into seperate shared libraries. Our directory structure looks
> somehow as follows:
[...]

> When performing the "make install" step all the libraries and binaries get
> installed to our prefix directory "/opt/kmt". This currently takes very
> long (~20 minutes) as libtool relinks all libraries.
[...]

Wow.  That's terrible.

> How can I avoid this additional relinking step during "make install"?

Generally, --enable-fast-install should be the switch to avoid it.
However, it is not possible to do on every system, and not fully
optimized on all systems where it could be made to work.  Unfortunately,
GNU/Linux is one of the latter ones where Libtool still needs a bit of
work.

Thanks for the bug report,