Re: libtool won't link with static libraries

From: Adam Nielsen
Subject: Re: libtool won't link with static libraries
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2011 21:15:25 +1000

*** Warning: Trying to link with static lib archive
/usr/i486-mingw32/lib/libboost_filesystem-mt-s.a.
*** you link to this library. But I can only do this if you have a
*** shared version of the library, which you do not appear to have
*** because the file extensions .a of this argument makes me believe
*** that it is just a static archive that I should not use here.

I've discovered that if I manually add the .a files back into the g++ command that libtool runs, then it will be linked correctly. So the problem is definitely due to libtool discarding the .a files given to it instead of listing them along with the other libraries when it calls g++.

Does anyone know what could cause this? Or how to force libtool to pass the filename through as-is?

Thanks,
Adam.