Re: rpath's with colons

From: Ruediger Meier
Subject: Re: rpath's with colons
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2011 14:14:22 +0200

Hi,

sorry somehow I've missed your reply.

On Friday 07 October 2011, Eric Blake wrote:
> On 10/05/2011 11:07 AM, Ruediger Meier wrote:
> >
> > Does anybody of you know whether and how it's possible to specify
> > directories with colons like
> > /usr/lib/bad:dir/
> > as LD_LIBRARY_PATH at runtime or as rpath at linking time?
>
> Probably not possible, for the same reason that using directories
> with : in their name as part of $PATH is not possible.  Sorry.

Is this documented somewhere or is this obvious that there is no way
to "escape" the colon somewhow?

The problem is that rpath or LD_LIBRARY_PATH  of libtool's convenience
binaries will fail if the build directory path contains colons. IMO
libtool should abort or at least warn if somebody tries to build within
such broken path.

I was hitting this issue in practice when compiling xz from tar ball.
Everything seemed to work but make check failed because it was using
using a global installed liblzma instead of the freshly build one.

cu,
Rudi