Re: Install libtool on Win7 x64

From: Gary V. Vaughan
Subject: Re: Install libtool on Win7 x64
Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2011 08:01:31 +0700

Hi Joe,

On 1 Nov 2011, at 20:08, Joe Breedlove wrote:
> Hello,
>                 I am trying to install a program called srecord found at
> http://srecord.sourceforge.net . The author of srecord suggested also
> installing libtool. I am working with the srecord in order to convert a hex
> file over to a binary which I am attempting to use to program a CPU
> controller. I am not familiar with these types of source files at all so I
> hope you can help me. I have read the instructions for how to configure
> libtool found in the INSTALL file. However, whenever I open the windows
> command prompt and change directory to the unzipped files I downloaded for
> libtool and type “./configure” I get an error message stating something like
> that is not a valid batch command or something to that nature. Can someone
> explain to me how I should install this libtool. Again, I am not familiar
> with building things from source files but it has become necessary for the
> project I am working on.
>
> Thank you,

Thanks for your interest in GNU Libtool.

I'm sorry that the standard GNU INSTALL file you'll find in most GNU projects
doesn't make mention that it assumes you are already on Unix, or at least in a
POSIX compatible environment, so those instructions absolutely won't work on
bare Windows which does not have any of the tools that it assumes.

The GNU build system (Autoconf, Automake, Libtool) was written for and designed
to run in a POSIX compatible environment, with a Bourne Shell and GNU M4
installed among others.  Before you can hope to run POSIX shell scripts (such
as Libtool) on Windows you will need to install a full POSIX emulation.  In the
past I have had good experiences with http://www.cygwin.com, but Libtool is
also compatible with mingw and MSYS if you prefer those.

Gary V. Vaughan (gary AT gnu DOT org)