Re: The case of libkmod's .so versioning attempts, and induced collision

From: Lucas De Marchi
Subject: Re: The case of libkmod's .so versioning attempts, and induced collisions
Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2012 12:00:49 -0200

Hi Peter,

On Wed, Feb 8, 2012 at 12:45 AM, Peter O'Gorman <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 02/07/2012 07:06 PM, Lucas De Marchi wrote:
>>

>> Yes. We can always learn. It seems that this is not the case here.
>> There are other projects releasing like this and no one pointed out to
>> a reasonable argument against it. That means these arguments are not
>> valid in our case:
>

> Again, use -version-number a:b:c to get libfoo.so.a.b.c instead of screwing
> around with the calculations yourself and using -version-info.

Indeed -version-number can be used.

> This flag is available since libtool-1.5.x and was added by the
> freedesktop.org folks, iirc, to retain version number information when they
> moved to the autotools.

Yeah, the documentation says it should be use only by old projects
moving to autotools. This is not quite truth. It can be used by anyone
not caring about libtool versioning scheme, but rather only with the
runtime and compile time linker behavior.

Regards,
Lucas De Marchi