Re: mingw-w64's libuuid.a : *** Warning: linker path does not have real

From: Peter Rosin
Subject: Re: mingw-w64's libuuid.a : *** Warning: linker path does not have real file for library -luuid.
Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2012 10:51:05 +0200

On 2012-07-22 04:00, JonY wrote:
> On 7/22/2012 00:43, Peter Rosin wrote:

>>> on Windows  DLL are good. I already pass --disable-static to all my
>>> Windows builds.
>>
>> That has been argued elsewhere, but I can still see the value of the
>> other side. So again, I, as a library author, do not like to shove that
>> policy decision down the throat of my library consumers.
>
> So how are you supposed to build it if *I* want it as a DLL?
>
> Rhetoric notwithstanding, how are you supposed to build a DLL that uses
> libuuid.a? No, cloning UUID constants is not a proper fix.

By not using Libtool, I suppose, or by mucking about with Libtool
internals.

Libtool needs to change to handle this situation cleanly. I don't know
how. Care should perhaps be taken so that libtool doesn't export stuff
from static libraries such as libuuid though, since the DLL consumer
could be using libuuid as well without knowing that some consumed DLL
is also pulling it in.

Cheers,
Peter