Re: conditionally disabling libltdl subconfigure

From: Brice Goglin
Subject: Re: conditionally disabling libltdl subconfigure
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2012 18:32:33 +0200

Le 22/08/2012 16:32, Nick Bowler a écrit :
> On 2012-08-22 15:12 +0200, Brice Goglin wrote:
>> I am working at embedding libltdl inside our project (hwloc, an Open MPI
>> subprojet). Our plugins are not expected to be enabled in the most
>> common cases. So I am trying to see if the libltdl sub-configure could
>> be skipped entirely unless really needed (when plugins are enabled, and
>> libltdl is indeed built). I got the usual failure when I tried to put
>> LTDL_INIT inside a conditional block so I am looking for something else now.
>>
>> Modifying the subdirs variable before AC_OUTPUT seems to work. But this
>> hack may not be safe enough. Is there a better way to do this?
> Use either the "recursive" or "nonrecursive" libltdl styles.  Do not use
> "subproject" (the default).  Both these styles integrate all the
> configure machinery directly into your main configure script, so there
> may still be some extra checks but they should be fairly low-cost in the
> grand scheme of things (especially compared to subproject!).
>
> You can then use Automake conditionals to control whether or not libltdl
> will be built.
>
> Cheers,

Thanks a lot! It looks promising, indeed.

One small problem with this is that it requires -I$(top_builddir) in
CPPFLAGS since it wants to include LT_CONFIG_H=relative/path/config.h
Not sure how this could be improved. Maybe by passing the absolute path
in LT_CONFIG_H? Or by allowing to manually override it?

Brice