Is -release truely incompatible with -version-info?

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Is -release truely incompatible with -version-info?
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2012 15:18:46 -0500 (CDT)

I have not tested yet to see if libtool balks at it, but I have a desire to specify both -release and -version-info at the same time. The idea is to mis-use the purpose of release so that it records a certain critical build-time parameter (a size). The purpose is to allow several major builds of the same run-time library (from same source code) to co-exist on the system at once. Installed libraries using the same -release would still benefit from normal .so versioning conventions.

Is this feasable?

I could change the base name of the library but then this would require that developers know several names for the same library in order to link with it. Perhaps this is what I will end up doing in the end.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn