Re: cannot build from git/no daily snapshots

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: cannot build from git/no daily snapshots
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2012 11:22:43 -0500 (CDT)

On Mon, 17 Sep 2012, Peter Rosin wrote:

The 'm4' on this MinGW install is not a blessed version and a simple
build/install
of latest m4 produces an m4 which does not work. :-(

Was that an MSYS-m4 or a MinGW-m4? Assuming it was MinGW-m4, I

The one that came with the MSYS install was surely a MSYS-m4 and the one I built was surely a native Windows m4. The native Windows m4 I built likely produces/consumes Windows text line terminations and that is why it did not work (even though libtool configure accepted it).

think it is too much to ask to require MSYS-tools for simple
libtool hacking. If it was MSYS-m4, even worse. And the suggestion
to build a tarball and use that when developing for MinGW is
just asking too much. Insane work flow.

You have to remember that these extra steps lands on the people
spending the most time fighting (and waiting for) the build
system. I haven't touched Libtool in a while now, I wonder why,
but it was not a conscious decision. Maybe it wasn't fun anymore
for some reason? These changes does not seem attractive though.

Yes. It is important that libtool support Windows really well (with minimum pain) since I hate Windows so much. This may sound irrational, but a tool which helps cope with Windows also helps reduce the amount of time spent on Windows and increases the available time to work on application software.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn