Re: [RFC] Moving ltmain.sh and libtool.m4 into Automake

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: [RFC] Moving ltmain.sh and libtool.m4 into Automake
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2012 08:57:57 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 17 Oct 2012, Gary V. Vaughan wrote:

Libtool is just (a complicated) compiler wrapper, to make building and
linking against libraries easy to specify... be that on the command
line with a direct libtool invocation, or from Makefile.am
specifications.  I'm considering splitting the current libtool project
in two:

 1. libltdl as a standalone runtime loader wrapper

If it helps any with decision making, on October 15th I unbundled libltdl from GraphicsMagick, twelve years after I originally bundled it into ImageMagick. I decided to do this because I realized that the value added by the bundling did not exceed the potential harm caused by the bundling. Project configure and build times improved by removing libltdl.

Creading a stand-alone libltdl package is a very good idea.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn