AIX, modules and shared libs

From: Daniel Sands
Subject: AIX, modules and shared libs
Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2012 00:21:37 -0700

I'm attempting to build Cyrus SASL on AIX. It creates a standard shared lib for libsasl2, and a number of dlopen()able plugins. In AIX parlance, that's libsasl2.a and libplugin.so. It appears that when libtool is built at configure time it will do either one or the other, but it cannot do both in the same project. Am I correct in this?

Of course, I'm also not really interested in the -brtl way of doing things at the moment anyway. I'd like to keep the static linking to make sure all symbols are satisfied, but build shared objects. So maybe consider this a feature request: On AIX, when -module is used, don't package up the shared object in an archive, even if -brtl is not used.