Re: what & where is this file --- ltmain.sh

From: Gary V. Vaughan
Subject: Re: what & where is this file --- ltmain.sh
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2013 10:50:27 +0700

On 29 Mar 2013, at 23:40, allan George <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> what & where is this file --- ltmain.sh ?

It is the non-declarative part of libtool.  When installed libtool contains the
text of ltmain.sh.  Please RTFM for more details -- unfortunately autotools
still
requires a ton of intermediate files, which are confusing enough that I won't
try to explain again in a list post when there is already much better
documentation
online.

> It is hiding actual libtool installed ?
>
> i have installed 2.4.2 version for libtool :---
> ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/libtool/libtool-2.4.2.tar.gz
>

> After installing 2.4.2 version of libtool, If i run whereis command, i get
> following output :----
> /pi/libtool-2.4.2$ whereis libtool
> libtool: /usr/local/bin/libtool

Are you sure that's the version you actually installed, and not an older
installation?  Check the timestamp on the file and the version to be sure.

  $ ls -l /usr/local/bin/libtool
  $ /usr/local/bin/libtool --version

> But if i run libtool --version:---
> /home/pi$ libtool --version
> ltmain.sh (GNU libtool) 1.5.26 (1.1220.2.492 2008/01/30 06:40:56)

What is your path set to?  Maybe you have another libtool nearer the beginning
of
your path than the one in /usr/local/bin?

  $ echo $PATH

> Why libtool --version command is not showing the latest installed version of
> libtool 2.4.2?

Also don't forget to tell your shell to rebuild the command hash, otherwise it
will
continue to run the libtool it found and hashed the path to before your newly
installed libtool arrived.

  $ hash -r # assuming you're using bash or zsh

It seems like you might have better luck using your system package manager to
upgrade to a non-ancient libtool rather than trying to install one from scratch
by yourself.  Does your system come with apt or yum or similar?

HTH,
--
Gary V. Vaughan (gary AT gnu DOT org)