Re: Fwd: Fwd: android support

From: David Turner
Subject: Re: Fwd: Fwd: android support
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2013 10:05:36 +0200

Hello,

Glad seeing this being addressed :-)

On Tue, Sep 10, 2013 at 12:41 AM, Brooks Moses <address@hidden> wrote:
Hello, Marco,

Thanks for pinging this -- I'm trying to work through some of the libtool patch backlog, and I'll have a look at this in the next few days.

I note that David Turner also posted a patch for Android support in libtool more recently:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/libtool-patches/2013-06/msg00002.html

The patches are fairly similar, although I think the organization of David's patch (which keeps the "Android" and "glibc/ELF" blocks entirely separate) is a bit better since Android is not glibc-based.

The one key difference here is that your patch uses $libname$shared_ext for library_names_spec and soname_spec, whereas David's uses $libname$release$shared_ext.  Is there a particular argument in favor of one or the other of these?

For the record, I've kept the $release to keep the structure similar to the glibc one. I admit I don't really know what that corresponds to, but I could successfully build working shared libraries for a few projects with my patch. Good enough for me.
Also, in case you're interested, I've an updated patch that also prevents adding a DT_RUNPATH in the .dynamic section (the Android system linker doesn't support it). This is purely cosmetic though, the initial patch is ok too. Just let me know if you want the update.

- David

- Brooks