Re: libtool - warnings when installing GMP using DESTDIR

From: Michael Young
Subject: Re: libtool - warnings when installing GMP using DESTDIR
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2013 16:01:04 -0400

Thanks for the reply, Robert.

On to a question about the second warning...

What does "libtool --finish" actually do?
I've looked at the libtool manual (http://www.gnu.org/software/libtool/manual/html_node/Finish-mode.html#Finish-mode).
Right now, I'm questioning the first usage mentioned, since that's what the
warning directs me to do (i.e., libtool --finish <libdir>). The manual says
the finish operation is to "help system administrators install libtool libraries so that they can be located and linked into user programs". That's a bit vague - I'm guessing that it's because libtool may do different things on different
platforms.

I'm running on libtool 2.4.2 on Ubuntu 12.04.

However... from what I can tell, "libtool --finish" doesn't really do anything
on this platform, even when running it as a superuser (via sudo).

Here's the items I've checked (and don't seem to change with the finish
operation):

LD_LIBRARY_PATH
/etc/ld.so.conf or its includes
/etc/ld.so.cache
the libraries themselves (DT_RPATH, DT_RUNPATH, or anything else)
libtool control (.la) files for the libraries

The output from "libtool --finish" suggests that "ldconfig -n" is run, but I see
no evidence of that.

Am I missing something?

Thanks,
   Michael