Patching dl search path in 2.4.2

From: Andrea D'Amore
Subject: Patching dl search path in 2.4.2
Date: Fri, 1 Nov 2013 12:59:04 +0100

Hello,
I stumbled in an dynamin linking issue while using gschem (circuit
schematic editor frmo gEDA-gaf) built with guile 1.8.8 and libtool
2.4.2 on OX 10.7 using MacPorts [2].

The issue is due to the difference between guile's dynamic-link [1]
default paths and MacPorts' prefix whose default value is /opt/local ,
while investigating how I could make guile look for libraries in the
right path I've been told on #guile Freenode channel that 1.8.x
behavior was totally dependent on libtool's, specifically libltdl.

I then searched libtool's configure script for options about setting
the dl search path, I wasn't able to find it so I manually patched
lines
  sys_lib_dlsearch_path_spec='/usr/local/lib /lib /usr/lib'
  sys_lib_dlsearch_path_spec='/macports/specific/paths /usr/local/lib
/lib /usr/lib'

in darwin* sections of configure script, there were four occurencies.

Is it correct to patch the search path for non-standard paths?
If so is there a configure flag for setting the search path?
If not what's the correct approach?

In the same darwin* sections there is the line
  shlibpath_var=DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH
that suggested me the env variable would actually affetc the
configuring, but it didn't happen, i.e. with DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH set to
/opt/local/lib in the environment and/or passed to the configure
script (tried all three combinations) the search path didn't include
/opt/local/lib . Why is this?

As reference you can see the actual trace of the issue and the patch at [3].

Regards

[1]
http://www.gnu.org/software/guile/docs/docs-1.8/guile-ref/Low-level-dynamic-linking.html
[2] http://www.macports.org