g++ and -nostdlib

From: Peter Rosin
Subject: g++ and -nostdlib
Date: Fri, 08 Nov 2013 19:09:17 +0100

Hi!

There seem to be a longstanding complaint that libtool is using
-nostdlib when it links libraries using g++. It interferes with
-pthread and I think I have also seen other issues. No one can
give a satisfactory explanation why libtool does this, it seems
like it is just the way it has always been and noone dares
changing it. To me, it all smells like something that was needed
once upon a time when g++ was still immature, and whatever issues
it solved we no longer need to worry about. So, just for thrills
I had a quick peek at the code, and it looks quite simple to
simply nix this obnoxious -nostdlib use.

I realize that the timing isn't the best with the alpha release
and all, but this probably needs to be tested a bit more before
it's pushed anyway, so I'm simply posting this as an RFC and
don't expect it to be committed until later.

Should it be listed as an incompatible change? Or simply a bug
fix?

BTW, it even appears to work, but please test, as I have only
done very light testing...

Oh well. Any thoughts?

Cheers,
Peter