Re: git commit forces bootstrap

From: Gary V. Vaughan
Subject: Re: git commit forces bootstrap
Date: Sat, 7 Dec 2013 20:53:14 +1300

On 6 Dec 2013, at 21:11, Peter Rosin <address@hidden> wrote:
> In my setup, I have to rerun "./bootstrap -fc" after every commit I make
> to my local git libtool repo, which is very annoying. I
>
> inline-source:   error: file 'build-aux/funclib.sh' not found
> inline-source:   error: file 'build-aux/options-parser' not found
>  GEN      libtool

That looks suspiciously like a srcdir vs builddir error to me. If you are using
a VPATH build, does it work better as an in tree build?  Thanks to the magic
of `git clean`, I only exercise VPATH during `make distcheck` these days...

> Is it expected that I need to manually rerun bootstrap after every commit?

Half expected at least, because we display the `git describe` output in the
./configure header, and that changes with each commit.

It would certainly be nicer for make to autoreconf successfully without a
manual rebootstrap :-(

Patches welcome... I've added it to my TODO list to look at after the next
release too, in case no one else has time or inclination before then.

Gary V. Vaughan (gary AT gnu DOT org)