Re: library libltdlc.la

From: Sam Varshavchik
Subject: Re: library libltdlc.la
Date: Thu, 26 Dec 2013 07:06:27 -0500

Gary V. Vaughan writes:

libltdlc.{a,la} is a convenience library - that is an ar(1) archive of shared objects to be statically linked (copied) into a program directly. It is never installed, but built from sources included in the distribution of the parent package.

You should find that the courier main server source tree you are building from either contains a copy of the libltdl sources already, or else has a bootstrap (or autogen.sh) script that copies the libltdl sources into the tree using the libtoolize script installed along with the other libltdl files you just installed separately.

If the process isn't working properly, the maintainers of courier main server are much better placed to help you find the right combination of build commands, or else fix bugs in their libltdl integration.

Let's cut out the middle-man here. courier-authlib includes a copy of ltdl, but there's nothing particularly strange about it. There's an LTDL_INIT in configure.ac, and a fairly boring collection of _LTLIBRARIES in Makefile.am. That's it.

I have no idea what's going wrong here. This is plain vanilla stuff. My suspicion is that the configure stuff is there's some confusion between the bundled and a system-installed copy of libtool.

I would suggest using --with-included-ltdl with configure, to force libtool use the bundled copy of libtool.