Re: bootstrap patch

From: Gary V. Vaughan
Subject: Re: bootstrap patch
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2014 15:21:53 +1300

Hi Bruce,

On Jan 27, 2014, at 7:08 AM, Bruce Korb <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> "test -f .git"?  Do you mean "test -d .git"?

D'oh! Yes.  I made a hasty change from test -f .gitignore... which was even
more misguided.

I pushed the s|-f|-d| fix already.  Thank you!

> Anyway, if you want to test for "are we in a git repo hierarchy?"
> would not "git rev-parse --git-dir" be better?

No, because bootstrap absolutely has to run in $srcdir, and I don't want to
get into configure style searching back up the tree looking for $srcdir.
Using rev-parse would result in a relative path, which would have to be
parsed by bootstrap and used as the cwd... and that might lead people to
believe bootstrap supports VPATHs, which would not work at all except in a
checked out tree with a working $GIT.

Gary V. Vaughan (gary AT gnu DOT org)