Re: Libtool 2.4.3 release

From: Richard Purdie
Subject: Re: Libtool 2.4.3 release
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2014 16:46:54 +0000

On Thu, 2014-03-20 at 18:07 +1300, Gary V. Vaughan wrote:
> On Mar 20, 2014, at 5:37 AM, Arnout Vandecappelle
> <address@hidden> wrote:
> > [Please keep me in CC, I'm not on the list]
> > Dear libtool maintainers,
>>
> > Is there a possibility for a new libtool release in the foreseeable
> > future?
>
> Yes, absolutely. In fact there are only 2 things ahead of it on my
> TODO list:
>
>   1. Figure out why a4ffcdb5e is a regression for test 57
>   2. fix test 120 race condition
>
> Unfortunately, Libtool is a complex beast, and we are woefully
> undermanned here.
> While everything rests on my shoulders, it will be at least another
> month before I can start work (I'm in the process of emigrating and
> all that entails).
>
> Patches for those 2 items, or any other as yet unknown issues with git
> master (or http://vaughan.pe/libtool/libtool-2.4.2.458.tar.gz if a
> bootstrapped tarball is easier to work with) are extremely welcome,
> and could lead to an immediate release...

FWIW I'm another build system maintainer who sees email here. We
currently have 12 patches against libtool:

http://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit.cgi/poky/tree/meta/recipes-devtools/libtool/libtool

Some of these are inappropriate for upstream, one or two may have been
merged into libtool, some others may highlight issues, particularly
around the sysroot support.

Unfortunately whilst I have the best intentions (and am still on the
list), I haven't found the time to look into the issues as yet and
figure out if we could get some into a form that they'd be accepted
upstream.

Cheers,

Richard