why is ldconfig needed after installation

From: Peter Johansson
Subject: why is ldconfig needed after installation
Date: Mon, 26 May 2014 10:53:06 +1000

Hi libtoolers,

I just installed a library with libtool (via automake generated rules) and when trying to use the lib I get this:

error while loading shared libraries: libyat.so.9

which is going away if I issue

sudo ldconfig /us/local/lib

My question is why is that even needed, as I thought libtool already did that. No?

I've noticed the message at installation
--->8
Libraries have been installed in:
   /usr/local/lib

If you ever happen to want to link against installed libraries
in a given directory, LIBDIR, you must either use libtool, and
specify the full pathname of the library, or use the `-LLIBDIR'
flag during linking and do at least one of the following:
   - add LIBDIR to the `LD_LIBRARY_PATH' environment variable
     during execution
   - add LIBDIR to the `LD_RUN_PATH' environment variable
     during linking
   - use the `-Wl,-rpath -Wl,LIBDIR' linker flag
   - have your system administrator add LIBDIR to `/etc/ld.so.conf'

See any operating system documentation about shared libraries for
more information, such as the ld(1) and ld.so(8) manual pages.
--->8

So I've followed the last bit there and added a file '/etc/ld.so.conf.d/local.conf' that contains '/usr/local/lib' to make the runtime linker aware of '/usr/local/lib'. Yet I need to do a ldconfig manually every time I install something. Am I missing something or doing something wrong? This is on RHEL6.

Cheers,
Peter

This is on RHEL6 and I've added

--