Re: Installing DLLs on Cygwin

From: Peter Rosin
Subject: Re: Installing DLLs on Cygwin
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2014 09:15:50 +0200

On 2014-09-28 16:50, Mike Gran wrote:

>> My guess is that libguile-ncurses.la is a Libtool module. The move to ../bin
>> does not happen for modules, if I remember correctly.
>

> Thanks.  Removing the -module from LDFLAGS fixed the install.
>
> I guess '-module' does not mean what I think it means.

'-module' means that you are building something (.so, .dll, .dylib or
whatever it may be called on the platform) that you intend to open from
within the application (with lt_dlopen, dlopen, LoadLibrary, etc). When
you make Libtool to do this, it assumes that the application will have
some means to find the module, and will therefore not install it
somewhere else (such as in /usr/lib/../bin instead of in /usr/lib).

Suggested reading: "Dlopened modules" in the manual.

http://www.gnu.org/software/libtool/manual/libtool.html#Dlopened-modules

Cheers,
Peter