Re: [RFC] any critical patches for a release this weekend?

From: Gary V. Vaughan
Subject: Re: [RFC] any critical patches for a release this weekend?
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2014 21:58:02 +0000

Hi All,

> On Oct 23, 2014, at 8:10 PM, Gary V. Vaughan <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> I plan to roll a release based off the v2.4.2 tag, incorporating fixes for
> version mismatches against Mac OS Yosemite this weekend - in consideration of
> the fact that there are still known regressions in master.
>
> If there's anything else I should include, or suggestions for a better
> revision to base the release from, please reply ASAP :-)

Incase you didn't surmise from the last few posts already (almost) all the
requested patches made it into the release:

I spent 2 days cherry-picking non-controversial and obviously non-destabilizing
patches from master into a new 2.4 branch made several revisions above the
v2.4.2 tag, along with some supporting infrastructure changes to minimize the
amount of hand-merging required (thus avoiding some opportunities for bad
merges), resulting in 3 candidate release revisions... all of which fared worse
in backtesting on the machines I have access to than the current HEAD of master.

Bob, in light of both that and of your disappointed "something is better than
nothing" response, I figured a fearless release from master not only saves us
from getting back into the maintaining several HEADs hell we've been in before,
but also gives me the opportunity to solicit a bit of outside help with
patching the remaining few stubborn regressions I haven't had time to devote to
over the last 9 months.

With a bit of luck, some of our downstream maintainers and packagers will post
fixes back to us.

With a lot of luck, I've been way too pedantic about continued support for
museum architectures, and no one in the wild will even notice that there are a
few warts remaining.

Gary V. Vaughan (gary AT gnu DOT org)