Re: GNU libtool-2.4.4 released [stable]

From: Gary V. Vaughan
Subject: Re: GNU libtool-2.4.4 released [stable]
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2014 08:22:07 +0000

Hi Lawrence,

> On 2 Dec 2014, at 08:05, Lawrence Velázquez <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> On Dec 1, 2014, at 5:39 AM, Gary V. Vaughan <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>> Yes, as you discovered, starting with Libtool-2.4.3 GNU M4 is required by
>> libtoolize, because we now dynamically run the configure.ac through it to
>> reliably detect build characteristics (as opposed to earlier releases which
>> grepped and sedded through aclocal.m4 and configure.ac looking for magic
>> strings heuristically).
>
> What minimum version of M4 is required?
>
> vq

Anything that works with modern Autoconf should be fine.

I haven't tested Libtool against every combination, but (more than 8 years old)
1.4.6 comes with Mac OS X 10.10.1 and works for me.  There are known problems
with 1.4.11 through 1.4.15 so best avoid those too.

Gary V. Vaughan (gary AT gnu DOT org)