Re: Tune rpath by env. variable

From: Gary V. Vaughan
Subject: Re: Tune rpath by env. variable
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2014 11:17:03 +0000

Hi Pavel,

On Dec 12, 2014, at 10:02 AM, Pavel Raiskup <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Thursday 11 of December 2014 23:29:56 Gary V. Vaughan wrote:
>> I think it would work better to leave lt_lib_dlsearch_path_spec in the
>> generated file as it was before (just the heuristic configure time values),
>> and add to the top of libtool:
>>
>>  : ${LT_SYS_LIBRARY_PATH="/configure/time:/path/list"}
>>
>> Then installed libtool will work whether the user wants to set it
>> differently,
>> or not at all, or if LT_SYS_LIBRARY_PATH is set in the environment for both
>> configure and libtool, without double adjusting.
>>
>> WDYT?
>
> Thats definitely cleaner.  Ack.  I mean, only if we still can use
> LT_SYS_LIBRARY_PATH to enhance ltdl.m4's runtime library path
> during ./configure time.  Now however, the path munging routine from
> libtool.m4 should be easy to reuse in ltdl.m4.  And also if:
>
>  LT_SYS_LIBRARY_PATH="/lib64:/usr/lib64:" ./configure
>
> .. is enough to to stop thinking about LT_SYS_LIBRARY_PATH during
> development as it should survive things like 'touch configure.ac ; make'.

Right, and in that case we'd generate a libtool that contains:

  : ${LT_SYS_LIBRARY_PATH="/lib64:/usr/lib64:"}

  sys_lib_dlsearch_path="/lib /usr/lib"

  [[...]]

  func_munge_path_list ()
  {
      [[...]]
  }

  [[...]]

      func_munge_path_list sys_lib_dlsearch_path "$LT_SYS_LIBRARY_PATH"

Which means by default libtool uses the configured additional paths, but
still has the flexibility for the caller to change them (cross-compiling
to Fedora?).

I'll commit a follow on patch, to tweak it like this, later today.

Thanks for the help and feedback!

Gary V. Vaughan (gary AT vaughan DOT pe)